Tuesday, September 17, 2013


We were under the gate around 6:30am and in a whirlpool of churning ocean.  The Captain was about to turn around but the Admiral said to suck it up, so I put the pedal to the metal and found out it was a lot smoother than going trawler speed.    After about an hour the seas calmed down with about a 4 to 5 foot swell with a long interval, very comfortable.  I ran the boat at 2200 RPM for most of the trip and with the following sea would do about 14 knots down hill.  Then the sun came out and no wind, what more could you hope for?  We arrived in Monterey about 3:30pm. and were assigned a slip in the back corner of the marina with sea lions lying all over the docks and making there usual loud barking noise.  Chloe went crazy and had to bark back.   Speaking of Chloe, we gave her a vet prescribed motion sickness pill which helped her from the constant shaking and panting.  She even laid down after several hours of standing.  When we checked in with the harbor master we begged for a different slip.  He said we could go to the end tie on the other side of the marina after a sail boat leaves at 5:30pm.  If anyone is familiar with the fisherman's wharf, we are right there next to the wharf.  The weather looks bad for at least four days so we decided to rent a car for a couple of days and take Chloe in for grooming, run some errands, and give Jan a chance to go to Carmel.

Pigeon Point just past Half Moon Bay

Fisherman's Wharf

Fisherman's Wharf

Can you see the cruise ship?


  1. Hi Larry,
    How do you like the dingy davit system. I am trying to decide what system to put on Penny Pinchin for the Loop.

    1. Hi Dave, I think for the loop cruise it should be great. I don't know if I told you but we have the trick davit system. I did remove the outboard for safety reasons and so far the dingy has held on even being in some pretty nasty seas. It did move a little from where it started but is still on the back of the boat. Heading to Morro Bay tomorrow morning Friday.

  2. Thanks Larry,
    That is the system that we are going to use. Have a safe run to Morro Bay. Hopefully you can outrun the weather system that is dropping down from the north.
    We are still on track to splash in mobile,Al. about the 1st of Feb.